Data backup is probably the most important part of any IT system. Backing up your data means periodically saving a copy of your computer’s information to an offsite location for safe keeping. Having a copy of your computer’s data protects it from being lost in the event of a hard drive failure, natural disaster, or virus.
Backing up files is important for everyone but it is an absolute necessity for businesses that may have many years’ worth of valuable information stored on computer hard drives. A loss of this valuable information can be extremely costly; it can translate to downtime, customer service issues, and sometimes could even mean having to close permanently due to the loss of irreplaceable information.
One study found that up to almost half of companies have lost important business data somehow, and oftentimes it was deleted accidentally. If the information is backed up at an offsite location, it can be easily restored. Here are some important statistics that demonstrate the importance of data backup:
- 6% of all computers experience data loss each year. (The Cost Of Lost Data, David M. Smith)
- Every week 140,000 hard drives crash in the United States. (Mozy Online Backup)
- 31% of PC users have lost all of their files due to events beyond their control.
- 20% of small to medium businesses will suffer a major disaster causing loss of critical data every 5 years.
- 60% of companies that lose their data will shut down within 6 months of a disaster.
- Companies that aren’t able to resume operations within ten days of a disaster are not likely to survive. (Strategic Research Institute)
- Many data loss issues occur because of malware. Protecting data on outside servers helps shield it from viruses and other insidious issues. (Timesavers International)
- Simple drive recovery can cost upwards of $7,500 and success is not guaranteed
At Localloop, we can help you backup and protect the valuable information you have on your computer. Don’t wait until it’s too late.